One of my all-time favorites, this soup is rich in vitamins, and gentle on the hip-pocket.
1 Butternut Pumpkin
1 clove Garlic
2 Sweet Potatoes
Vegetable stock cube
2 heaped teaspoons Ground Cumin
- Fry onion, garlic and cumin in a big stock pot with a little oil until onion is transparent.
- Add pumpkin and potato and stir (so vegetables are coated with the spice mixture)
- Reduce heat to lowest setting (simmer) and add 1 litre of water (with stock cube dissolved in it)
- Cook with the lid on for 1 hour
- Remove from heat and purée the soup (I use a bar mix)
- Season with salt and pepper
- Allow for soup to cool (I place the pot in the sink filled with cold water – I tend to get impatient at the part)
- Divide into sandwich bags
- Take one sandwich soup bag out each morning to defrost, ready for a scrumptious lunch!
The cost breakdown: (prices as at 30/04/16)
Pumpkin $1.93 (@ $0.69 per kilo)
Onion $0.73 (@ $3.49 per kilo)
Sweet Potato $3.61 (@ $2.20 per kilo)
(Spice and stock cube I already had in the pantry)
Number of servings soup made = 10
Cost per serving = 63 cents